Rody kicked things off last week with the
running_sum() function. This week your challenge will be with both parameters and the
window_sum() function. This visualization may look simple but it was a challenge for both Rody and myself (You’ll probably see a variant of this later this year).
- Data should be aggregated to the month.
- Sales should be for a rolling 3 months
- Order of the categories is dependent on the values at the parameter date. Larger values are stacked on top.
- Pay attention to the color of #WorkoutWednesday title
- Do your best to align the parameter with the x-axis. This way the controller is aligned with the reference line.
- Match the axis labels and axis (non)titles.
- Match x-axis major and minor ticks
- Match the label format.
- Match the colors using the Superfishel Stone color and Seattle Gray palette.
- Your chart should range from 2014-Mar-01 to 2018-Mar-30.
- Make sure your axes are synchronized (of course).
- Share your your visualization with the parameter set to 2018-Feb-01.
If you need help check out the spoilers below.
This week utilizes the Superstore dataset. You can get it here at Data.World
As you complete this example, feel free to share on Twitter using the #WorkoutWednesday hashtag. Don’t forget to tag @RodyZakovich and @LukeStanke. We really want to see your work.
- With your window calculations: pay attention to your
window_sum()inputs. Read Tableau’s online help on table calculations.
- This is a dual axis chart.
- Use an IF statement to compare an aggregate of order date and the date parameter.
- There are a number of ways to sort the stacks, I used an LOD inside an IF statement.
- 65% opacity.
8 thoughts on “#WorkoutWednesday 2018 – Week 3”
Hello, here is my viz :
I have a small question for you. I have a dashboard which is taking around 6 seconds to load the initial view. The dashboard contains one blank worksheet and although the data source is about 1,000 number of records.
What can I do to get a better initial load time on my “blank” dashboard?
PS: I am working on Tableau Online with WIFI
Shameless request: can you guys put the dashboard size in the requirements?
Yes. Omission on my part. Planned on putting that in.
Here’s my Try – with some delay 🙂
Catching up! – My attempt
My solution to this challenge: https://public.tableau.com/views/WOW2018-Week3-DynamicRollingThreeMonthSale/DynamicRollingThreeMonthsSale?:language=en-US&:display_count=n&:origin=viz_share_link