Sometimes you want to make fun charts, but life gives you tables. This challenge is another real-life challenge I’ve encountered through Dr. Alicia Bembenek: show a table, but only highlight a subset of the products. An innocent challenge that is actually more difficult than it first appears. –LS.
Be sure to check out the challenge on Tableau Public.
- Dashboard Size: 800px by 800px
- 1 sheet
- Use a parameter to show the top N sub-categories by total profit. Set the default to 3. If they are not in the top N, group all other sub-categories together as “All Others”.
- Use a parameter to show the top N products within that sub-category by margin. Set the default to 5. Group all other products within a sub-category together and total “All Others”
- Show margin (SUM(profit)/SUM(Sales)), total profit, and total sales for each value shown
- Use an action to drill into the “All Others” products within a particular sub-category.
- Add totals.
- Match formatting (Text formatting, and row dividers)
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2020 in your description to make it searchable!
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtag #WOW2020 and tag @AnnUJackson, @LukeStanke, @_Lorna_Brown and @LosaniMeera