This is probably my favorite challenge of the year. So i’m saving it for near the end. You’ll need level-of-detail and table calculations to solve this one.
For this challenge you need to calculate customer lifeftime value (in sales). While their are many ways to do this. We are going to keep this as simple as possible in Tableau.
- Determine the first order per customer and then classify customers into quarters based on their first purchase.
- Calculate the number of quarters from any order since their first purchase. Instead of having quarter zero for the first purchase add 1. This will move all quarters over by one quarter. Q0 –> Q1, Q1 –> Q2
- Calculate the total sales divided by the total distinct customers in each quarterly cohort (you need to do this because not every cohort member has made it through all stages of this customer experience.
- Complete a running total of this number.
- Match the formatting of the “area” chart (#5557EB, #8A8BF1)
Note: The solution is not a perfect answer, but to avoid creating a VERY difficult challenge I’m leaving it as is.
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2022 in your description to make it searchable!
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtag #WOW2021 and tag @LukeStanke, @_Lorna_Brown, @_hughej, @YetterDataViz and @HipsterVizNinja