For this week’s #WorkoutWednesday we’ll recreated one of the PowerBI challenges from earlier in the year. In week 30, Shannon created a visualisation of sea ice extend in the Antarctic. Initially I thought this would be a rather easy challenge in CRMA but I ended up with a few tricky nuts to crack.
- Create a data source that enables the requirements and the dashboard below
- Line chart
- Show one line per year
- Show all months in each year in the correct order
- Use 3 letter month names
- colour all years in grey
- colour 2023 in red
- colour the median value for each month in dark blue
- match axis formatting
- create a tooltip that shows the selected value and the overall median and includes a bar chart showing the same values
- Year selector
- Allow the user to select any year in the data set
- Colour the selected year red instead of 2023
- Match formatting
- change the red “2023” to the selected year, if the user has a different year selected
The resulting dataset should look something like this:
You can find the dataset here: https://data.world/genetis/wow-2023-43-sea-ice-extend
It’s the same data as in the original challenge, however I have precalculated the median across all years for you as that might be a challenge in its own in the future…
Data for the year 9999 represents the median across the dataset.
After you finish your workout, share a screenshot of your solutions or interesting insights on Twitter or LinkedIn using the hashtags #WOW2023 and #CRMA and tag @genetis, @PreenzJ and @LaGMills. (Or you can use this handy link to do that)
Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker to track your progress and help us judge the difficulty of our challenges.