This week we align ourselves with the DuBois challenge, which aims at celebrating the work of W.E.B. Du Bois. You can learn more about him, his visualisations, the data behind them and the challenge here: https://github.com/ajstarks/dubois-data-portraits
Some of his charts are quite “out there” so I chose one that could be recreated in CRMA. I took the liberty to adjust some of the details slightly to make it work a little better with the tool and adjust it to modern times and modern media.
The overall look however stays very much the same as you’ll be able to see below.
- Create the dashboard as displayed in the screenshot below
- Transform the data to allow for the stacked bar chart
- Find a way to sort the sections of the bars according to the original and the 3 bars by gender as in the original
- Use the colours as defined in the guide here: https://github.com/ajstarks/dubois-data-portraits/blob/master/dubois-style.pdf
- Apply the same colours to the labels
- Match formatting for Title, labels, etc.
- Share your creation online with the hashtag #DubiosChallenge and on Twitter tag @DuboisChallenge
The data for this challenge is here: https://data.world/genetis/wow-2023-10-du-bois-challenge
And if you are interested in any of his other work, you can find the data for it here: https://github.com/ajstarks/dubois-data-portraits/tree/master/challenge/2023
After you finish your workout, share a screenshot of your solutions or interesting insights on Twitter or LinkedIn using the hashtags #WOW2023, #CRMA and #DubiosChallenge and t ag @genetis, @PreenzJ, @LaGMills, @JaackParry and @DuboisChallenge. (Or you can use this handy link to do that)
Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker to track your progress and help us judge the difficulty of our challenges.