The theme for February 2023 has been alternatives. This week I present an alternative (and trust me, there are many other alternatives) to my least favorite chart: the side-by-side bar chart.
The reason this chart is so difficult for me is because it takes up a lot of space and when I am doing comparisons of numbers I’ve got to cross so many other value and dimensions. I want to make comparisons faster. That’s why sometimes I use a comet chart.
- Dashboard Size: 800 x 700px
- 1 sheet
- Create a comet plot that shows sales for 2021 and 2022 by sub-category.
- The narrow part of the comet should be 2021 sales
- The wide part of the comet should be 2022 sales
- The labels should be 2022 sales
- Match the size of the comet around the circle
- The color represents the direction of change in sales from 2021 to 2022. The red represents a decrease in sales
- Match the formatting
- ADVANCED: Table Calculations only
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2023 in your description to make it searchable!