Care to join me on an adventure to the dark side? While it’s true I might not yet have the Sith skills of Curtis when it comes to the dark side, I’ve decided to tip the balance of the force toward the dark this week.
The workout this week combines a few concepts inspired by a recent work project someone shared with me. The inspired ask was to create a way to have more user-driven comparisons while retaining other peer information in the background. The end user experience was to be very direct – the user should know what has been clicked and more supporting information should appear in context. The resultant dashboard serves up a fun (and colorful) way to dynamically highlight subcategories for comparison while revealing their monthly averages. Per usual, the devil’s in the details on this one, so make sure you study the final requirements and dashboard carefully.
- Dashboard size: 1300 x 1000; no more than 3 sheets
- Limit data to 2018, Office Supplies
- Create a line chart that does the following
- When clicking on a subcategory at the top, the chosen subcategory will highlight teal and an average line will appear
- The chosen subcategory will disappear from the bottom selections
- The chosen subcategory will move to the far left and be teal (remaining sort is ascending by sales)
- When clicking on a subcategory at the bottom, the next chosen category will highlight hot pink and an average line will appear
- The bottom chosen subcategory will disappear from the top selections
- The chosen subcategory will move to the far left and be hot pink
- When one or more lines is highlighted, the non-highlighted subcategories will change to a darker gray
- Dark mode
- Background: #555555
- Teal: #00c0c6
- Hot Pink: #f0007b
- Gray 1: #959595
- Gray 2: #757575
- Match all tooltips, labels, and formatting
This week uses the superstore dataset for Tableau 2019.1. You can get it here at data.world
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration.
Track Your Progress
Also, don’t forget to track your progress using this Workout Wednesday form.