Well we made it another year! I hope if you’re reading this that you’re knee deep in content from Tableau’s annual conference, #data21. There’s lot to enjoy throughout the week, and I look forward to seeing you all in the various communication channels and platforms that are available!
For this week’s challenge, I decided to go a different route and viz the workout live on Twitch. With TC being virtual again, it seemed appropriate to do some on the fly vizzing.
But that doesn’t mean the challenge this week is any less simple. You’ll be doing a popular analysis often performed in retail or other product-based environments: an RFM analysis. RFM stands for Recency, Frequency, and Monetary. So this viz will do just that!
FYI – since I live streamed the build, you can watch it (and the solution) here on Twitch.
- Dashboard Size: 1600px by 900 px
- # of Sheets – up to you
- Construct an RFM dashboard that displays the following metrics
- Time since last purchase (expressed in days if less than 1 year and years if more than one year)
- Total Orders
- Total Revenue
- Average Order Value
- Total # of Products (quantity) and Unique # of products
- Add on sorting for each of the metrics – matching the parameter to know the direction asc/desc for how the metric will be sorted.
- Add a configurable flag for setting a customer as active/inactive based on days since last purchase
- Build out a viz on the Total Products that has the top 10 products by Sales/Revenue.
FYI: I’m using 1/1/2022 as “Today” since the version of data goes up to 12/30/21.
This week uses the superstore dataset for Tableau 2021.3. You can get it (or a similar version) here at data.world. If your data doesn’t go through 2021, set it to a date that makes sense for you!
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2021 in your description to make it searchable!
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtag #WOW2021 and tag @AnnUJackson, @ItsCandraM, @LukeStanke, @_Lorna_Brown and @HipsterVizNinja