is TABLEAU CONFERENCE week! The whole team is in Vegas ready to meet some of
you in our live Workout Wednesday Meet-up!
As luck would have it, I have the honour of preparing this week’s challenge. For those of you who will be working out with us in person, part of the challenge will be to complete as much as possible within the 30 minutes available. If you’re joining us virtually, let us know how you get on and don’t forget to share your solutions on Twitter.
spoiling too much, the challenge involves superstore Sales Target data and some
sneaky labelling. I hope you enjoy it!
- Dashboard Size: 1000 x 800px
- Download and join the Superstore Sales Target data to the usual Sample Superstore data (2021)
- Create a bar-in-bar chart to compare the Monthly Sales (in front) with the Target Monthly Sales (behind).
- Year = 2021 only
- Action filter to allow users to select a particular Product Category
- If the actual Monthly Sales did not meet or exceed the Target then colour the Monthly Sales bar in a bright highlight colour (I used red).
- For the highlighted months (where Sales < Target): label the bar with the following text “Target missed by” + the difference between the Sales amount and the Target amount.
- Match tooltips and formatting
- To really test yourself, set a timer and try to complete this challenge within 30 minutes!
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2022 in your description to make it searchable!
Download the workbook for a step-by-step breakdown of how this challenge was built (each step is on a different worksheet).