May is Tableau Redo month, so if you haven’t checked out last week’s report by Kerry Kolosko, make sure to check it out here. Most of the challenges this month have been Power BI remakes of previous Tableau Workout Wednesdays, but this week there was a really big release for the newest version of Power BI, so we are covering that this week!
If you haven’t seen it yet, Field Parameters were released in the May 2022 version of Power BI. This feature allows you to select what fields you’re using in visuals via a report slicer. You can see how I have done this in the example below.
- Enable the preview feature, Field Parameters
- Create a field parameter that includes the Segment, Category, Sub-Category, Region, State, and City fields
- Include the parameter field slicer in the report and set to single select
- Create a Margin % field
- Create a card that shows the high level Margin % metric
- Create both a bar chart and a line chart by year that shows the field parameter field as the legend.
- Toggling between different breakdowns in the chart to the right should be enabled by clicking through the different options in the slicer.
This challenge uses the Tableau SuperStore dataset provided on data.world. You will need to log in to data.world to retrieve the data, but accounts are free.
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtags #WOW2022 and #PowerBI, and tag @JSBaucke, @MMarie, @shan_gsd, @KerryKolosko, and @NerdyWithData. Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker so that we can count you as a participant this week in order to track our participation throughout the year.