This week’s challenge is a slight twist on the classic Measure (bar) vs Target (gantt) chart. The key difference here is that we want to allow the user to select a ‘tolerance’ around the specific Target value. We only want to highlight months where profit was Above or Below the permited tolerance.
- Dashboard Size: 1200 x 750px
- Create a bar chart of Monthly Profits (with Year of Order Date on the filters – I selected 2023 only)
- Add a Gantt line for the Target Profit (this field is included in the version of Superstore data used for this challenge)
- Use a parameter to set a dynamic ‘Tolerance’ (percentage)
- Add grey shading to visually represent the ‘Tolerance’ of x% above or below the Target value
- Match tooltips and formatting (Colours – Below Target: #c8133ba, On Target: #bab0ac, Above Target: #91b3d7)
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration. Also include the hashtag #WOW2023 in your description to make it searchable!
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter and/or LinkedIn using the hashtag #WOW2023 #Tableau and tag @WorkoutWednsday and @_hughej
3 thoughts on “#WOW2023 | Week 21 | Profit vs Target (with Tolerance)”
Pingback: Utilidad vs. Objetivo con Tolerancia Ajustable – RosarioViz
Pingback: Profit vs. Target with Tolerance Range – RosarioViz
Pingback: Tableau | 利潤與目標比較 Profit vs Target (with Tolerance) - CH.L + The One Thing