It can be challenging getting a new dataset and quickly finding something to focus on and tell a story about. Power BI has built in tools that help you quickly identify data points of interest, and provides visuals that can help tell the story.
Have Power BI help you tell the story with your data with key influencers/top segments, auto-clustering, and smart narratives.
This week’s challenge comes courtesy of guest contributor Zoe Douglas: https://www.datazoepowerbi.com/, https://www.linkedin.com/in/zoedouglas-data/
- Use the built-in data in Power BI to create a report:
- Open Power BI Desktop
- Click “Try a sample dataset”, then Load Sample Data.
- Load the “financials” table.
- Find an interesting data point using “Key Influencers”, looking at what influences increase in profit. (HINT: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-influencers)
- Plot the key influencer with a line chart over time, using “series labels” to highlight the interesting line. (HINT: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-september-2021-feature-summary/#post-17174-_Toc81908303)
- Add custom title using “smart narrative” visual. (HINT: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-smart-narrative)
- Create a scatter with Profit Margin and Units Sold, then use the “Automatically find clusters” feature to create cluster groups
(HINT: Profit Margin = DIVIDE(sum(financials[Profit]),sum(financials[Gross Sales]))
- You can rename and adjust the cluster groups.
- You can then use the cluster groups in charts, such as a line chart to show profit by cluster groups over time, and bar charts to show overall profit by cluster.
- Average lines can be also included to show context without having the axis showing (clustering the visual).
Financials sample dataset available in Power BI Desktop
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtags #WOW2021 and #PowerBI, and tag @DataZoePowerBI, @JSBaucke, @MMarie, and @shan_gsd. Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker so that we can count you as a participant this week in order to track our participation throughout the year.