Below is an abstract view of superstore sales by week for 2017. Each set of three lines are the percent of sales by segment for that week. The lines are equally spaced based on the percent of the year complete. There is also a nice space between each of the line segments for each week.
- Use sales for 2017.
- The size of the dashboard 500px x 600px.
- If you think of the segments as a clock, Week 1 should be at the 12:00 position.
- The weeks should be evenly spaced based on the week number.
- You’ll be using geometry. The minimum radius is 1. The maximum radius is 2.3. (Spoilers provide some math help.)
- The space between the segments is .15.
- Note the tooltips to get some assistance on your math.
This week utilizes the superstore dataset. You can get it here at Data.World
As you complete this example, feel free to share on Twitter using the #WorkoutWednesday hashtag. Don’t forget to tag @RodyZakovich, and @LukeStanke. We really want to see your work.
Also, if you want your efforts throughout 2018 tracked, feel free to fill out this Google Form.
- You need to union the superstore data to itself.
- If you union inside of Tableau you’ll have a field called Table Name. This field will help you identify the start and end of each line segment.
- Radius * COS(2 * PI() * [Percent of circle]) will return your Y-axis
- Radius * SIN(2 * PI() * [Percent of circle]) will return your X-axis
- I set a parameter of 0.15 to space my segments.
- I used custom colors this time: Red: #E84D5B; Sea Green: #6FB899; Teal: #26979F; Background: #EAE2CF
2 thoughts on “Week 10: Keep an Eye on Sales”
Here’s my try – but i needed some help
Radial graphs, nice. Solution: https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/w4768/viz/WorkoutWednesday2018-Week10-RadialGraph/WOW2018W10