August Community Submission Month
Welcome to community submission month. For all 5 of those weeks we’ll have our favorite community submissions as challenges. FYI: You can still submit here.
Community Submission Challenge #3: Donna Coles
Donna is located in Didcot, Oxfordshire in the UK. She is a Business Analyst for RM Education and has been working with Tableau for around 5 years. She is Server Admin and oversees the internal Tableau community sharing best practice and providing consultation and training. She has been completing the weekly #WorkoutWednesday challenges since inception in Jan 2017 as they provide opportunities to learn new ways of presenting data that could be applied to a business scenario, as well as often introducing features she hadn’t been aware of. She is also a Tableau Community Forums Ambassador. Don’t forget to follow her on twitter. With that, here is Donna:
This weeks challenge is to build a pareto chart to understand what proportion of customers make up sales, and is based on an actual visualisation Donna delivered for a business requirement. There haven’t been many pareto challenges, so hopefully this will give an opportunity for some of you to try a new chart type, but also provide a bit of extra thinking for those that are familiar with them.
- Dashboard 800 x 800.
- Selection of the Sales Percentage slider will adjust the highlighted point.
- Sales Percentage slider should increment in 10s from 10%-90%.
- % values displayed to 1 decimal point.
- The Sales Percentage mark highlighted should be the value that is at least the value selected in the slider (eg when 60% is selected, the mark highlighted is 60.1% as the previous mark is 59.9% which is less than the slider value).
- The tooltips on the curve differ from that on the highlighted mark.
- The tooltip on the highlighted mark should also indicate the actual number of customers at that point, as well as the total number of customers.
- Rebuild everything to be identical, matching titles, tooltips, chart formatting.
This week uses the superstore dataset for Tableau 2018.1. You can get it here at data.world
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtag #WorkoutWednesday and tag @AnnUJackson, @LukeStanke, @RodyZakovich, and our community contributor @donnacoles30. (Tag @VizWizBI too – he would REALLY love to see your work!)
Track your progress
Also, don’t forget to track your progress using this Workout Wednesday form.