Using a moving average is a great technique to smooth out fluctuations in data points and help us see the overall trend of a particular metric. We could create a visualization that fixes the moving average to a particular number of months, but we could bring greater value to the user by allowing them to choose the number of months they see their data points averaged over. It would also be great to provide our users with the ability to choose which metric they display. Funnily enough, that’s exactly what we’re going to be creating this week!
We’ll be working with Tableau’s Superstore data set from version 2022.4 this week, so please feel free to upload your own version or you can download it here.
- Upload the Superstore data set into your Salesforce org
- Create a single-axis line chart that shows sales on one line and the last 3 months moving average of sales on the other
- Match all chart formatting, colors of the lines are listed below:
- Sales rgb(198, 211, 225)
- Moving Average rgb(150, 60, 233)
- Create an input widget that allows the user to select the number of months for the moving average
- Create a widget that allows the user to toggle between sales and profit as the metric displayed on the line chart
- Match all dashboard formatting, the image can be downloaded here
This week we’ll be working with Tableau’s Superstore data set from version 2022.4, so please feel free to upload your own version or you can download it here
After you finish your workout, share a screenshot of your solutions or interesting insights on Twitter or LinkedIn using the hashtags #WOW2023 and #CRMA and tag @genetis, @PreenzJ, @LaGMills and @JaackParry. (Or you can use this handy link to do that)
Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker to track your progress and help us judge the difficulty of our challenges.
1 thought on “2023 Week 5 | Dynamic Moving Average”
Here is my take on the challenge of this week: