This week we are going to be exploring how to use Bookmarks to toggle between different views in a report. There are a number of things you can do with Bookmarks, but in this week’s example we are going to use them to toggle between chart views and then as a Reset Filters button.
In the report below you can see a couple of different features that we will be building this week. In the top right above the line chart you can see three different icons representing three different ways to show the trend data below. You can also see the Reset button in the very top right. In the embedded report below, click on some of these icons to see how they respond. To properly use the Reset button, choose some options from the Slicers in the header or click on a Region in the bottom left to filter the report, then click Reset.
- Load the Superstore data set from data.world – only the Orders table is required
- Create explicit measures for the sum of Profits, sum of Sales, and Profit Margin
- Display the three KPIs somewhere on the report
- Add a breakdown bar chart showing another level of disaggregation of the data – I used Region, but choose whatever you’d like. Make sure that click filtering is enabled! (Edit Interactions)
- Add two slicers to your report
- Add a trend line chart that is able to be seen in three different views – the different views need to be controlled via Bookmark actions. Make sure these Bookmarks are toggling just the visuals, not the data. I used images to drive those, but you can use any method you’d like here.
- Add a button that Resets the data within the report – this will reset the slicers as well as any other click filtering that has been done. This will be completed with Bookmarks as well
This challenge uses data provided on data.world specifically for this exercise. You can use the data.world connector in Power BI (recommended) or download the Excel file to your local machine. You will need to log in to data.world to retrieve the data, but accounts are free.
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtags #WOW2021 and #PowerBI, and tag @JSBaucke, @MMarie, @shan_gsd and @dataveld. Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker so that we can count you as a participant this week in order to track our participation throughout the year.
1 thought on “2021 Week 32 | Power BI: Toggling Views with Bookmarks”
When is the solution for this challenge going to be posted