Welcome back to Workout Wednesday!
This week we’re visualizing two series of values in a take on last week’s Tableau challenge! This week’s challenge uses youth cellphone data and gives you the opportunity to either build a dumbbell chart using Charticulator or to build a lipstick column chart using a custom visual.
Complete one or both of the visuals. If you complete both, notice what you did and did not like about each!
- Use the web connector in Power BI to get data from Data.World.
- reminder – you need a free Data.World account to use the connector
- Transform the data so that you have 5 columns
- 2015 ownership
- 2019 ownership
- Ownership variation
- Color variation (here I used values over and under 20%)
- Using either the charticulator custom visual or charticulator online, create your dumbell chart.
- Check out Curbal’s video for step-by-step instructions!
- I tried to make my chart match the Tableau challenge – feel free to get creative!
- Create a lipstick column chart using the Nova Silva custom visual.
- Add any other visuals that speak to you as you explore this dataset! Make the design your own and have fun with it!
This challenge uses a Makeover Monday data set. You can find it here on Data.World.
Use the Data.World connector in Power BI.
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtags #WOW2022 and #PowerBI, and tag @JSBaucke, @MMarie, @shan_gsd, @KerryKolosko, and @NerdyWithData. Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker so that we can count you as a participant this week in order to track our participation throughout the year.