Welcome back to Workout Wednesday 2022! This week we’re continuing our work with images and building a fun Holiday Song Picker using the Image Grid custom visual in Power BI! We’ll use data from Spotify to help select a song based on Artist, Tempo, or Key.
If you’d like to follow along with the series, please start with Meagan’s holiday challenge calendar! You’re also welcome to start here!
- Get and Transform Data
- Get data from Data.World
- Keep only the columns you need and name things in a way that makes sense to you.
- Create Measures
- Create a measure(s) to show users which song(s) they have selected! I called out Artist, Song, and Danceability
- Add Visuals
- Create a layout that works with your design. I used Spotify for inspiration and adjusted my canvas size.
- Add the Image Grid custom visual to your report and use the album image in the Image URL field
- Add any other slicers, visuals, text or fun visuals that help users pick a holiday song!
- Check your tab order and add alt text to ensure your song picker is accessible.
- Share Your Work
- As always, get creative and share your work with us on social media.
- If you’re completing the holiday series, add the URL to your song picker report to your week 48 report!
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtags #WOW2022 and #PowerBI, and tag @JSBaucke, @MMarie, @shan_gsd, @KerryKolosko, and @NerdyWithData. Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker so that we can count you as a participant this week in order to track our participation throughout the year.