Welcome back to Workout Wednesday! This week we’re using a Makeover Monday dataset that was inspired by Andy Kriebel’s post on Twitter (dataviz inception!). Andy has been working through Makeover Monday challenges in Power BI, and I thought it would be a good opportunity for us to do some of these together!
This week’s challenge uses what-if parameters, a bar chart, and a slicer to create an effective visualization. We’ll also use a DAX measure to format the bar chart. I strayed slightly from the original viz because it made more sense to me, but as always, do what you like!
Thanks for the inspiration Andy!
Get and transform data
- Get data from Data.World. Use the Data.World connector in Power BI or download the Excel file.
- Rename columns and double-check data types. There’s no heavy transformation needed this week!
Create what-if parameter and measure
- Create a what-if parameter for number of drinks per day (on the modeling tab of the ribbon)
- Create a measure that uses the value from your new parameter
- Create a measure to conditionally format your bar chart.
- Create a bar chart using your new measures
- Add a slicer for drink type
- Add a title, attribute Andy’s data viz, and format your report in any way you’d like.
- Ensure that all visuals meet the minimum standards of having alt text, that the tab order in your report makes sense, and that your color choices meet the minimum standards.
- Save and publish your report.