Click animation to open on Tableau Public
DataSuperstore data provided in Tableau 2019.2
- Dashboard size 1000×800
- Filter to the “last 3 years”
- Build a custom axis that acts as a control mechanism for the reference lines
- If a month is a start of a quarter, display the month, display a dot if not
- Make sure the last month in the line is displayed, even though it isn’t a start of a quarter
- Build a reference line that show the highest month in sales
- Build a reference line that updates as you hover over each month in the custom axis
- Build a reference line that updates to show the sales for the highlighted month
- Match formatting and tooltips
Solution VideoIf you need some help, check out the solution video!
ShareAfter you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtag #WorkoutWednesday2019 and tag @AnnUJackson, @LukeStanke, @lorna_eden, and @curtisharris_!
Track your progressAlso, don’t forget to track your progress using this Workout Wednesday form.
When you publish your solution on Tableau Public make sure to take the time and include a link to the original inspiration.
1 thought on “Week 36: Can you build a custom axis with a tracking reference line?”
i’ve made two shots:
One with PARAMETER – Simpler but always showing a vertical line
One with SET – which permits no month selection
…as usual, with your workout i can’t link my solution 🙁