This week we are creating Gantt Charts in Power BI.
It is not required to do all 4 variations, choose one of the options that interests you the most. Each option increases in time and/or experience level.
- Import data
- Import the Microsoft Gantt Chart from AppSource
- Place Project Category in the Parent Field well
- Place Project in the Task field well
- Place Project Stage in the Category field well
- Add start and end dates
- Format the Gantt Chart to suit
NOT SO QUICK MODE
- Import data
- Create a Date Table
- Select the Matrix Visual from the visualisations pane
- Place Project Category and Project Name in rows
- Place Year, Qx and Month from the Date Table in columns
- Create a measure that displays the text character “|” for today’s date and blank elsewhere.
- Place this measure in values field well
- Create a measure that returns 1 for dates between the start and end of a project, 0 for all else
- In the conditional formatting options, set the background colour of the cells where the measure in step 8 = 1
- (optional) Size the columns equally using this technique
- Add a date slicer to the page
LONGER ADVANCED MODE
- Complete Steps 1 – 7 of NOT SO QUICK MODE
- Create a measure that returns a different hex colour based on Project Stage Value
- In the conditional formatting options, set the background colour of the cells to be the field value of the measure from step 2
- Create a Legend (TIP : I used a line chart with series values, though there are other alternatives)
- Complete steps 10-11 of NOT SO QUICK MODE
- Create a dropdown filter with Project Risk, Project Category, Project Manager and Project Stage as selectable options
- Create a Gantt chart with the core matrix visual
- Colour the rows according the selected option from step 1
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtags #WOW2022 and #PowerBI, and tag @JSBaucke, @MMarie, @shan_gsd, @KerryKolosko, and @NerdyWithData. Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker so that we can count you as a participant this week in order to track our participation throughout the year.