Hello everyone! I’m excited to have my first challenge of 2023 up and ready for your enjoyment. Last year I got a reputation as providing challenges that were, let’s say….a little on the easier side, so this year I’m just going to own it!
I was scrolling Twitter in hopes of finding some inspiration for this week’s challenge when I stumbled upon this tweet. This viz created by Yasushi Ishikawa as part of the Tableau Back 2 Viz Basics challenge, shows the history of 15 and 30 year mortgage rates in an area chart.
Check out the visuals that you’ll be recreating below!
- Obtain the Mortgage Rates.csv dataset from Data.World
- Create an area chart that shows both the 15 and 30 year rate on a single axis
- Format the colors to be approximately the same colors as in the example report
- Create a custom column that takes the difference between the 15 and 30 year rate fields either in Power Query or using DAX
- Create a chart that shows the different between the 15 and 30 year rate on the first day of each month in the data set. One approach is to use the StartofMonth DAX function to get the calculate column for your y axis.
- Format text and titles appropriately
The dataset this week can be viewed here: https://data.world/back2vizbasics/2023week-1-build-an-area-chart
After you finish your workout, share on Twitter using the hashtags #WOW2023 and #PowerBI, and tag @JSBaucke, @MMarie, @shan_gsd, @KerryKolosko, @NerdyWithData. Also make sure to fill out the Submission Tracker so that we can count you as a participant this week in order to track our participation throughout the year.